- Let go - the hard part was getting to class. Forget what happened earlier on in the day or what you're going through at the moment and focus on the task ahead. Leave you troubles outside the classroom and renew your energy and focus inside the classroom.
- Breathe - You'd think it's simple but I constantly say this to my students in class because when we concentrate we forget and hold our breath. When you're walking down the street we automatically breathe but when we're in class and moving at a faster pace than normal deeper and concious inhalation is required in order to prevent fatigue.
- Relax your jaw - This is connected to our breathing, we tend to hold our jaw when we concentrate. Be aware and try to release the tension in your face and jaw.
- Stop, shake it off and start again - when trying to master a new or difficult move the worst thing to do is get frustrated. Stop. Breathe. Start again. Keep drilling and when you get stuck shake it off and start again. Don't give up.
- Smile - it's amazing how something so simple is forgotten all the time. The minute you smile, you relax straight away and begin to enjoy it even more. After all, isn't that what it's all about - enjoying yourself?
Here are my 5 top tips for you on what to do in dance class.
Award-winning Turkish Oriental and Theatrical Fusion performer and teacher.